Q: How quickly will I get better?

An alcoholic recovering in AA does not usually get better through the passage of time or by osmosis.

It's particular actions of the programme that will pretty much guarantee sobriety and make a person feel better.

Here are some examples:

The Steps showed me that my resentment, fear, guilt, and shame were coming from my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour, not from the world. When I changed these, the resentment, fear, guilt, and shame went.

They cleared up the past by enabling me to forgive everyone for everything, relieve myself of all my burdensome secrets, and bury the hatchet with everyone through amends.

Finally, I switched from being concerned with my welfare and your actions to being concerned with my actions and your welfare.

Taken thoroughly but swiftly (over a few weeks or months), the Steps can change everything.

If you want to get well, my suggestion based on my experience is this:

Don't delay. Don't dawdle. Don't drip feed. Get a brisk and effective sponsor and do it now.

Comments