Q: How to handle drinking situations in early recovery

When I was new in sobriety, I avoided drinking places. I did not start going to drinking places voluntarily until I was a long way into the programme, and then only when I had a legitimate reason. There was the very occasional event I could not avoid, however, and some tips came in handy:
  • (If possible) go with someone that knows I'm staying sober / in AA
  • Have people lined up to speak to
  • If I need to leave early because I am at risk of drinking, work out what I'm going to say, and how I'm going to leave
  • Make sure I have my own transportation or money for a train / cab etc.
  • Take some AA or spiritual literature with me to read on the way there or on the way back
  • Listen to an AA tape or similar on the way there or on the way back
  • When I am there, ask the Higher Power to guide me to be free of self-centred thoughts and to be maximally useful
  • When I am there, constantly turn away from self and turn my attention to constructively contributing to the event
  • Pray constantly.
I found this worked. But: if in doubt, stay away and help another alcoholic instead.

Comments