Q: How do I determine whether someone is sponsorable?

I'll tell you how I know I'm sponsorable.

Firstly, when I have a problem and go to someone for a solution, I do not go in with a fixed idea of what the solution looks like. I'm not there to enlist the other person in implementing my plan, by projecting my plan onto them, following it, then satisfying myself I have followed direction, when all I have done is found someone who will mirror what I have already decided I will do.

Secondly, when someone challenges the facts, the story, the analysis, and the assessment, do I defend or deflect?

The questions to ask oneself about a potential sponsee:

- Does this person want to fit me into their plan for their recovery?
- Or are they willing to follow what I suggest?
- When challenged, do they take on board the challenge?
- If they defend or deflect and are challenged on the fact they're defending or deflecting, do they yield or continue to defend or deflect?

Sponsorability boils down to this:

Recognising I have a problem, I don't have a solution, and am willing to listen and act.


Comments